Martini moves on

Home News Martini moves on
Martini moves on

Although Christopher Martini, former director of security, only worked at Hillsdale College for one year, he was well-liked and is already missed.

Martini left Hillsdale College for a position as the director of security and safety for Volkswagen North America in Rochester Hills, Mich. Associate Dean of Men Jeffery Rogers is filling the role as the interim director of security until the first of the year.

“He was a very calm, very composed, and very kind man,” said junior Benjamin Holscher, Hillsdale security student supervisor. “But you also knew that he could take care of himself and his people, and he had a clear vision for where we were going as a department.”

Holscher had many good conversations with Martini and saw him as a “man of character” and a mentor.

Martini came to Hillsdale College with his wife, Rachel, after both had led intense careers in the security world while living in metropolitan areas, according to Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé.

“He was traveling all over the place setting up programs and doing a lot of cyber-type things and protecting prototypes,” Péwé said. “[Rachel Martini] was also a manager at Cybersecurity.”

The Martinis loved the idea and mission of Hillsdale College, which led them to the small, rural community of Hillsdale, Péwé said.

“They loved the people here, but the lifestyle was a change,” he said. “There weren’t many opportunities for her to develop. And when you are a couple, you are a couple.”

Péwé also added that Martini’s friend and headhunter continuously pestered him about the opening at Volkswagen, and he could not pass up the opportunity.

“I was disappointed because he did develop the position quite nicely,” Péwé said. “People liked him, he was smart, and he liked the students, but you gotta do what you gotta do.”

The administration has identified a new director of security who will take over the position at the beginning of the year, but it is working through the transition and timing. Therefore, the administration is not ready to release who that individual is at this time.

Because of Rogers’ background in the U.S. Navy, experience in safety, and good connection with the students, Péwé appointed him as interim director of security. Péwé did not want to loosen the continuity between security and student affairs, and said Rogers “fills that gap nicely.”

“Chief [Rogers] knows how security should work, and he is doing a great job,” Holscher said. “I feel like we are really still moving forward.”

Rogers said he is enjoying the job and the opportunity to interact with more students.

“When orders are presented to you, you carry them out: no bellyaching or winning, sulking or pouty lip or any of that kind of stuff,” he said. “You just do it.”