This week Hillsdale College, with the rest of the country, is cel­e­brating the 225th anniversary of the writing of the Con­sti­tution.

As part of Hillsdale College’s cel­e­bration of the United State’s founding doc­ument, today the Allan J. Kirby Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship holds its third annual Con­sti­tution Day Cel­e­bration. Over 400 friends of the college, trustees, members of Con­gress, con­gres­sional staffers, and alumni will gather for a series of cel­e­bratory events today at the Downtown Renais­sance Hotel in Wash­ington, D.C.

The college’s cel­e­bration in Wash­ington, D.C., will be more edu­ca­tional than political, Kirby Center Director David Bobb said.

“The planning for the event begins a year in advance.” said Emily Sarver, special assistant for research and pro­grams in external affairs. “As soon as one ends the next is already being planned. I handle a lot of the details and prepa­ra­tions and it feels great to see it all come together.”

Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn will begin the day with intro­ductory remarks, fol­lowed by a panel titled “Should Con­ser­v­a­tives Today Accept the New Deal as a Done Deal?” Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of History Paul Moreno will chair the panel that includes Newsweek con­tributing editor David Frum and Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Thomas West.

A round table dis­cussing Arnn’s book, The Founder’s Key, will be chaired by Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Ronald Pestritto.

A dinner tonight will be capped with a talk titled “Is America Excep­tional?” delivered by former Com­mentary mag­azine editor Norman Pod­horetz.

“The climax of the event is the large dinner held in the evening,” Sarver said. “I love looking out and seeing a huge room of people who are there to support the college and support what we do.”

In years past the events have been held at the downtown Marriot Hotel, the same building the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Con­ference is held. This year the change in venue allows the cel­e­bra­tions to be closer to the Kirby Center itself, Sarver said. Tours of the Kirby Center will be con­ducted throughout the afternoon.

Prior to the estab­lishment of Con­sti­tution Day, the college held an annual Churchill Dinner. The Con­sti­tution Day cel­e­bration is a higher profile event then the dinner and draws more attention to the college’s work.

“The heart of our work is under­graduate edu­cation,” Bobb said. “Taking what we teach at the college and making it available to the public is a major part of what we do.”