Journalists to lecture at Hillsdale

Home News Journalists to lecture at Hillsdale

Two professional journalists will give lectures over the next two weeks at Hillsdale College.

John Miller, director of Dow Journalism Program, is bringing in Washington Examiner Columnist Tim Carney and The Wall Street Journal’s Editor of Leisure and Arts Eric Gibson to speak to the student body this week and next.

Carney will be speaking on Thursday Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. in Phillips Auditorium. The title of his lecture is “You Didn’t Build That: Government, Entrepreneurship, and the Election of 2012.”

Carney is what Miller called his “Pulliam fellow.” Every semester Miller, along with External Affairs Services, invites a visiting professor to teach a two-week, one-credit journalism course as part of the Eugene C. Pulliam Distinguished Visiting Fellowship. This in turn allows students to learn from professionals in their field of study. The lecture will allow a broader spectrum of students to learn from Carney’s expertise.

Gibson’s lecture is titled “Strange Bedfellows: The Arts and Media.” He will be in the Dow Center rooms A and B on Tuesday, Oct. 2, at 7:30 p.m.

Gibson is a speaker who will be staying for a few days, visiting classes and meeting with Hillsdale College professors. His lecture will offer career advice for students interested in arts and leisure writing. Miller explained that his career as an editor may mean his name is not as well-known, but his work is very important.