Delta Sigma Phi fra­ternity, after the loss of its house last semester, intends to spend this year focusing on improving their chapter. The fra­ternity hopes to build a pos­itive image on campus through aca­d­emics and phil­an­thropy.

DSP received below average marks on its accred­i­tation by its national orga­ni­zation for the last six years, fra­ternity pres­ident Brett Miller said. They did improve 20 per­centage points from the 2010 to the 2011 school year, however.

“We are getting more involved and want to be a visible fra­ternity, instead of one that stays down the hill,” Miller said in ref­erence to the fra­ternity house’s location.

Kurt Mas­ciovecchio, DSP senior, has helped brain­storm events to encourage DSP’s phil­an­thropic involvement.

“We will admit that we were not as involved on campus as we should have been,” he said. “This year, though, we plan to do a lot more.”

To demon­strate their com­mitment to change, DSP is working toward earning its national fraternity’s Pyramid of Excel­lence. The award, given after an accred­i­tation by a fra­ternity rep­re­sen­tative, is based on the fraternity’s per­for­mance in aca­d­emics, phil­an­thropic, and social events.

The men of DSP, cur­rently with a chapter total of 28, intend to pick up an addi­tional 10 men during fall rush. The new rush system allows con­tinuous open bidding for a month, which means each fra­ternity can extend a lim­itless amount of invi­ta­tions to join within the time frame. This change helps the DSPs recruit men of a variety of char­acters and extracur­ricular involvement, Miller said.

The fra­ternity intends to hold one social event a week during rush to meet potential new members and show them the fraternity’s ded­i­cation to a new image.

“The game plan is to rush hard,” Koletin Lee, sophomore DSP said. “ We need guys, but we want qual­ified members who want to develop into better men for better lives, which is our motto.”

To help the men focus on improvement, the admin­is­tration along with DSP alumni decided to suspend the DSP house and use the building as a dor­mitory. Dean of Men Aaron Petersen, however, hopes to give back the house after two years if the men prove that they are a changed fra­ternity.

“The focus should not be getting back the house,” Petersen said. “The focus should becoming better men in a better fra­ternity and serving the campus.”

After seeing the state of the house, the college used both DSP house funds and college funds to refurbish the house. Cur­rently, non-fra­ternity men inhabit the house.

“It stinks that guys who aren’t brothers live there,” Miller said. “But we know the college is doing what’s best, and that they are on our side.”

Although the fra­ternity orig­i­nally believed its house sus­pension would last one year, the dean recently announced that he expected the fra­ternity to show two years of improvement before they could regain their house.

DSP will hold all campus meetings in the Stro­sacker Science Center, without access to their house. The lecture hall allows the men to have privacy during their meetings.

The dean remains hopeful that DSP will improve and find a new niche on campus.

“The Delt Sigs have in front of them two options. One is to wither on the vine,” Petersen said. “Or they can take up the chal­lenge of becoming an exem­plary fra­ternity and thriving on our campus. And I hope they can.”