College prepares new core curriculum

Home News College prepares new core curriculum

Hillsdale College’s core is about to get a workout.

Over the past year, professors and administrators discussed, deliberated, and formulated a new core curriculum.

They didn’t always agree, said former Dean of Faculty Paul Moreno.

“There were differences of opinion, much like the Constitution,” Moreno said. “But when we came to a decision, it was greater than two to one.”

The “core” of this new core consists of changes to and replacements of the classes most students would take in their four years at the college.

For example, the seven upper-level English classes from which students can choose after successfully completing both sections of Great Books & Rhetoric are being replaced by a choice of three courses detailing certain aspects of the Western Heritage in context—English, Classics, and Theater—according to Provost David Whalen.

Other changes within the humanities include the addition of a rhetoric course, requiring students to take both philosophy and religion classes, and a still-developing senior capstone course, according to Moreno.

But changes are occurring outside the humanities as well.

“[There is] another change within the science core as well,” said Professor of Chemistry Chris Van Orman. “You will be required to take separate courses in biology, chemistry and physics (all three-credit courses) and still have the same math requirement.”

The new core will also modify the current physical education requirements.

“A new two-credit ‘wellness dynamics’ course will replace the two one-credit physical education courses,” Moreno said.

The Center for Center Alternatives requirement is not immune to change either, as the new core will require only one rather than the two currently required.

When the new core comes into full effect, some of its courses—such as the new Western Heritage-Rhetoric sequence—would take place over the first four semesters rather than the first two, Moreno said.

But why change in the first place?

Faculty members involved agree that improvement was the goal.

“The fundamental reason was to strengthen the core–to give it a more enduring impact and to make it more coherent and comprehensive–and to make it more in keeping with the college’s founding mission,” Moreno said.

Jon Fennell, dean of social sciences, spoke similarly.

“‘Strengthen the core’” has at least two meanings here: one, a longer-lasting, enduring impact, and, two, development of a coherent and comprehensive view,” he said.

Whalen also said that he hoped for improvement.

“Likewise, the new core is designed to heighten the service of the core to the college mission and to focus or unify students’ experience of the core,” he said.

Because of the gradual implementation strategy being pursued by the faculty and administration, an entirely new core will not come immediately, Whalen said.

If all that sounds a bit overwhelming, don’t worry–the new core won’t be implemented all at once.

“We’re doing this in stages,” Moreno said. “We could have done it all at once, but the core is an organism, with interdependent parts.”