The last hurrah

Home Opinion The last hurrah
The last hurrah

Alright folks! Well, you’ve almost done it. You’ve almost finished another year at Hillsdale- “Assign-Me-Another-Paper-Because-I-Can-Take-It” College. If you’re a senior, you have really accomplished something. You have survived four years at this place. I hope you can walk away knowing you poured your soul into this time spent studying and growing.

Remember what Dr. Whalen told us on one of those first days? He said that our journey was going to be incredibly dangerous because we were entrusting our minds to our professors. That makes me think of a certain professor who I took for multiple classes.

Prof. Siegel completely changed who I was as a student. I learned what it means to be a real pupil of the liberal arts, to allow my mind to be liberated from the mundane distractions of college life, and to rejoice in those long hours of study. The moments that I will carry with me after Hillsdale involve sitting in his class while he lectured on some incredible figure in history or a beautiful piece of prose. It’s impossible to forget the look on his face. The entire class would get wrapped up in his excitement. If anyone at this school makes you love to learn and study the higher things which shape your soul, he does.

Those moments were the most inspiring and meaningful of my whole four years at Hillsdale. I hope that you all have an experience like that to take with you. And if you’re not graduating yet, you know what to look for (besides a spouse of course).

Anyway, I’ll stop boring you with sentimental drivel and remind you all that the hardest part of the year is upon you. So again, prepare yourselves. There will be no sleep, showers, or proper nutrition. Girls will stop doing their hair and boys — well, you won’t stop talking to girls but you should. This life is crazy, people, but we only get four years. Make use of it, and don’t make me come back next year to kick your butts into gear (okay, actually, I’ll just find a replacement). Alrighty, sayonara!