Baseball ends weekend 1-3

Home Sports Baseball ends weekend 1-3

The Hillsdale College baseball team suffered two losses to Grand Valley State University but split a doubleheader against the University of Findlay this past weekend.

Grand Valley beat Hillsdale 4-0 and 12-1 on Tuesday. The Chargers struggled against the GVSU Lakers’ pitching in the first game and only junior right fielder Mike Vanchieri had a hit.

“We saw their two best pitchers. One of them is the best pitchers in the league,” said head coach Paul Noce. “That didn’t help.”

The second game also ended with a loss for the Chargers, though the men got six hits total. Freshman shortstop Nolan Breymaier had two hits and one run batted in.

“We’ve been playing pretty well all year, but today was just a bad day overall,” Noce said.

Not only did the men face the No. 20 team in the nation, they also dealt with snow and injuries. Sophomores left fielder Adam Ladzinski, first baseman Matt Pochmara, pitcher Dan Pochmara and freshman second baseman Vinny Delicata are all injured.

On Easter weekend, Hillsdale split a doubleheader against the Findlay.

“The pitching was good this past weekend,” Noce said. “We had some timely hitting. We had kids step up and get some big hits.”

The weekend started with a 3-0 loss. The Oilers shut out the Chargers largely because Hillsdale could not get more than the two hits from Delicata and freshman center fielder Sean Bennett.

“We have to pick up the ball a little bit better. We have to start getting some ugly hits,” Vanchieri said. “And maybe get a brush of luck.”

In the second game, Hillsdale came from behind to beat Findlay 5-3. The seventh inning started with the Oilers holding a 3-2 lead over the Chargers. After three runs and a save by senior pitcher Kris Morris, Hillsdale pulled off the win.

Delicata, with a pinch-hit single out to right field, started a succession of hits. When junior third baseman Scott Lantis singled and advanced to second on the throw, Delicata scored. Hillsdale racked up two more runs after a single from senior catcher Chris Stephens, a sacrifice fly from Bennet and a single from Vanchieri.

Morris saved the game in the bottom of the seventh by allowing only one hit and pitching a strikeout.

“He’s pretty effective. It’s tough for a team to see one solid pitcher for a whole game and then see a different one for the last three outs,” Vanchieri said.

Saturday opened with a second Charger victory 3-1. Freshman pitcher Colin Casey handicapped Findlay by pitching six innings with only one run and three hits.

In the first inning, Vanchieri hit a two-run single that led to runs by both Stephens and Blanchard. Senior Pat O’Hearn scored in the second after he was walked and then advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. He got the run after junior Brad Hayden singled.

For the second time that weekend, Morris got the save with a hitless seventh inning.

“Kris has the new role as the closer,” Vanchieri said.

Stephens and Blanchard each had a hit and a run scored, while Vanchieri lead the Chargers with three hits and two runs batted in.

The Chargers narrowly lost the final game of the series, 2-1. Lantis scored the only run.

This weekend, Hillsdale will host a four game series against Northwood University.

“It’s going to feel pretty good to have a home weekend series,” Vanchieri said. “We’ve been road warriors this season.”