Hillsdale College was the only Division II school to compete at the Van­derbilt Uni­versity Black and Gold Meet this past weekend. Both the men’s and women’s team traveled to Nashville, Tenn.

“It was mainly mid-major Division I teams,” women’s head coach Andrew Towne said. “We had the chance to compete against com­pe­tition that we were well lined up with.”

Senior Jacob Secor fin­ished first in the 3,000-meter run and broke the school record, fin­ishing in a time of 8:27.21. The second place runner fin­ished four seconds behind him.

The men’s team had a few other top-10 fin­ishes. Sophomore Maurice Jones fin­ished third in the 200-meter run in 22.41 and senior Skylar Dooley fin­ished fifth in 22.77. Another fifth place finish came from freshman Matt Perkins in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:54.94. In the 100-meter run, sophomore Michael Shaw fin­ished sixth in 11.59, and junior Andrew Pena fin­ished ninth at 11.72.

“In all honesty, after the 400-meter relay I did not perform as well as I would have hoped,” Dooley said. “During the 200-meter dash, I began to realize I had little energy and a rather tight hammy which made the last two events both tiring and irri­tating.”

Senior Michael Finch also had a top-10 finish in the 400-meter dash, coming in ninth at 50.09.

In the field, sophomore Justin Fawley fin­ished sixth in the high jump with a leap of 1.96 meters. Senior Nathan English pro­vi­sionally qual­ified for nationals in the shot put, taking third with a throw of 16.23 meters. He fin­ished fourth in discus with a throw of 47.51 meters.

On the women’s side, the 4x100-meter relay fin­ished fourth overall in a time of 48.65. The relay team con­sisted of juniors Erin Ben­jamin, Kayla Caldwell, and Becky Caywood, as well as senior Chelsea Wack­er­nagel.

“This was a good, solid start for us,” Ben­jamin said. “We will be able to work really well together.”

The relay had to change its line-up because sophomore Rachel Nyberg suf­fered a season-ending knee injury in practice.

“She will be fine going forward, but for now she has to sit out,” Towne said. “It is a problem for us because she is our only hurdler, and I felt bad for her because she had made a lot of strides this year.”

Sophomore Shannon Neby placed 11th in the hammer throw and set a per­sonal record of 48.14 meters. Junior Kathy Dirksen was able to pro­vi­sionally qualify for the national meet and fin­ished eighth in the hammer throw with a throw of 50.03 meters.

The meet was plagued by occa­sional thun­der­showers, causing delays for the field events. Men’s head coach Jeff Forino said that because of the delays, com­pe­tition for the field events went late into the evening. However, he said the throwers were excited to be throwing under the lights.

“Overall, I would say the team did rather well and that this was a decent taste of what we should expect from meets and com­pe­tition,” Dooley said. “Con­di­tions are not always in our favor and you just have to push through it all with your best effort.”