Kate’s Take: Formal lounge or dressing room?

Home Features Kate’s Take: Formal lounge or dressing room?

Dear Kate,

So, what do you do if upon opening the door to the Formal Lounge in the Grewcock Student Union, someone yells, “Don’t come in here, I’m naked!” beyond the obvious of course which would be to NOT enter? To be clear, I didn’t. But I felt like I had some type of duty or something to either guard the door or find security. Also, aren’t there big win- dows on the outside wall of the formal lounge? That had to be awkward. Suggestions?

Thanks, I Don’t Even Know

Dear Don’t Know,

Firstly, I just need to say that I’m ridiculously glad I’m gradu- ating in a month. People are naked in the Union? I mean, what in the name of Jackson’s beard is this college coming to? Then again…I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a senior. We’ve all lost our minds at this point. Yes. Yes actually I

can completely imagine a senior wandering into the Formal Lounge in some haze or stupor from being on-the-go 18 hours of the day or pulling their 192nd all-nighter and confusing it with their bedroom. Go easy on us, we’re suddenly realizing that in about a month we have to have real jobs and live in the real (terrifying) world. Everyone experiences it. It’s good for us to have a few moments (or weeks) of panic. Your patience, however, would be very much appreciated. Furthermore, (I continue writing, not because I have anything to say at all, but simply because I enjoy rambling at this point) it really shouldn’t surprise any of us, should it? Half the people on this campus don’t know what clothes are, and the other half are canoodling in public. In this case, at least they had the decency to retreat to a semi-public room… Your point about the windows is the most interesting one, though. I wonder if anyone got any footage of this phenomenon. Wouldn’t that make a great Collegian headline: “Formal Lounge becomes dressing room, students strip.” Alright, I feel this topic drift- ing toward the inappropriate. One word of real advice: if you have any big papers due at the end of the semester and you haven’t started writing, well, I suggest you start. It’s almost April, people.

Got a question for Kate? Email kolson@hillsdale.edu