In the past 100 years, mil­lions of people have died in geno­cides worldwide.

Hillsdale College’s Inter­na­tional Club is hosting “Genocide: A Campus-Wide Dia­logue” from March 5 to 9 to help stu­dents ponder genocide beyond just its immorality and examine its causes and effects.

“It’s a way to talk about and under­stand what actually goes wrong that allows for genocide. We are not trying to establish that genocide is wrong,” said junior and Inter­na­tional Club pres­ident Daniel Teal. “We want to ask, ‘Where do cul­tures and gov­ern­ments get off-track to where their phi­losophy of the human person allows for the killing of mil­lions?’”

The event will include guest speakers David Rawson, a former U.S. ambas­sador to Rwanda and a dvis­iting pro­fessor of pol­itics, Pro­fessor of HIstory Brad Birzer, and former Europe cor­re­spondent Barbara Elliott. The club will also host a showing of “Hotel Rwanda.”

“There has to be a common thread from Rwanda to Armenia to the Soviet Union to Cam­bodia and so on,” Teal said.

Vice pres­ident of the Inter­na­tional Club, senior Kelsey Fox, said that they are not pri­or­i­tizing spe­cific geno­cides but rather intend to show that genocide is the primary fact of the 20th century.

The club will raise money for the Kigali Memorial Centre in Rwanda through a silent auction of art and cul­tural items. Items include paintings, photos, signed books, and more.

“We hope to raise several thousand dollars from stu­dents and parents which will be used for pro­viding edu­cation for victims of the Rwandan genocide and for the Centre’s project of burying the bodies found in mass unmarked graves, still being dis­covered throughout Rwanda today,” Teal said.

The center works to educate youth in Rwanda who cannot remember the slaughter in 1994 or were born after it hap­pened. A study from 2006 showed that approx­i­mately 60 percent of Rwandan youth still display geno­cidal ten­dencies, Fox said.

“They don’t have the ID. cards, but there is still an awareness of the dis­tinction between the Hutus and Tutsis,” Fox said, referring to the Rwandan tribes involved in the tragedy.

The week-long dia­logue stemmed from an idea Teal pro­posed to Fox and others in the club over a year ago.

“Daniel told me about his idea to do a one-day event in remem­brance of the Armenian genocide. I wanted to bring Rwanda into the event,” Fox said. “It evolved into a week-long event.”

The events will be held in Phillips Audi­torium.