The dim reality of the young people’s futures has placed con­ser­v­a­tives in a position to win back their vote in 2012. Yet, youth issues are scarcely talked about amongst the can­di­dates — except one, Newt Gingrich.
Youth unem­ployment is the highest among any demo­graphic, hov­ering around 17 percent. The average student debt per person is over $26,000. Com­bining these two hor­rific truths, stu­dents face a future of depen­dency — on their parents, and even worse, on the government.
Newt Gingrich’s pro-youth message must be heard, and Monday night at Hillsdale College is the perfect place, and here is why:

1. Young people are any­thing but “secure” in Social Security, and Newt’s kicked welfare to the curb before. As the biggest com­ponent of America’s budget, the Her­itage Foun­dation esti­mates that by 2017, Social Security will be paying more in ben­efits than payroll taxes bring in. At this rate, young people will never see the money they payed into the system. As Speaker of the House, Newt Gin­grich and the Repub­lican majority suc­cess­fully passed welfare reform as part of the Con­tract with America. Newt’s current plan for the welfare system is one of pri­va­ti­zation and per­sonal accounts. Young people will have control over their money and their future — not the government.
  2. Young people need a future of bal­anced budgets, not increased spending. The rate of Washington’s rampant spending is unsus­tainable. National debt has sur­passed $15 trillion and each citizen shares over $46,000 of this burden. What does that mean for our gen­er­ation? If things don’t change in the very near future, younger gen­er­a­tions will forever be enslaved to big gov­ernment. Newt Gin­grich and the repub­lican majority suc­cess­fully com­bated a liberal pres­ident and bal­anced the budget in the ’90s. Young people need the strength that Newt Gin­grich had in the ’90s to put America back on track for the sake of their future.
  3. Oba­maCare takes away the freedom of young people by allowing them to stay on their parents healthcare plan until age 26. Young people want freedom, and gov­ernment is not pro­viding the envi­ronment for it. The nanny state is emerging subtly through plans such as Oba­maCare. In a mid-January debate on CNN, when asked about young people under Oba­macare, Newt responded with: “Why has Pres­ident Obama allowed young people stay on their president’s health care until they are 26? Because he can’t get any jobs for them to go out and buy their own insurance.” The problem isn’t young people and health care, the problem is young people not having the jobs to get their own health care. “I have an offer to the parents of America: elect us, and your kids will be able to move out, and your kids will be able to move out because they’ll have work,” he said.

For con­ser­v­a­tives to win back the youth vote in 2012, young people need to feel like their issues and their future is important in the eyes of the can­di­dates. Newt Gin­grich has proven that he cares about the issues of our gen­er­ation, and what a better way to let it shine than on Monday night at Hillsdale College.