The Hillsdale College men’s and women’s track teams traveled to Grand Valley State Uni­versity to compete in one last meet before con­ference.

Although Hillsdale rested some ath­letes in prepa­ration for GLIACs, the ath­letes that did run at the GVSU Tune-Up meet were gen­erally suc­cessful.

“I had people rest to give them a week off to get men­tally pre­pared [for the con­ference meet], but those who did run set per­sonal records,” assistant coach Amanda Mirochna said.

Sophomore Matt Raffin broke a school record not just once, but twice this past weekend.

Raffin took first overall with a record breaking time of 8.38 in the 60-meter hurdles after running an 8.44 in prelims. Sophomore Elliot Murphy fin­ished second place at 8.52, the exact time of the record before it was broken.

Senior Nate English also set a school record in the shot put after throwing 17.83 meters. This toss gave him second place in the meet and moved him up to fifth in the nation. Although he has yet to auto­mat­i­cally qualify, he is the highest pro­vi­sionally qual­ified thrower.

The men’s 4x400-meter relay team, made up of senior Michael Finch, sophomore Maurice Jones, senior Skylar Dooley and sophomore Jared Van Dyke, pro­vi­sionally qual­ified at 3:18.06 and fin­ished second overall.

Dooley won the 200-meter dash in 22.12, edging out four Grand Valley sprinters.

High jumper sophomore Justin Fawley set the bar with a first-place mark of 1.96 meters.

Juniors Kayla Caldwell and Adrianna Yancho both nar­rowly missed pro­vi­sional qual­i­fying marks – Caldwell was .2 off in the 200 and Yancho missed in the high jump by .04 meters.

Senior Chelsea Wack­er­nagel took second in the pole vault with a height of 3.62 meters. Senior Cat Nass pro­vi­sionally qual­ified and took fourth in the weight throw with a toss of 17.74 meters.

Head women’s coach Andrew Towne said that it is the time of year that everyone’s body is feeling good and they are excited for GLIACs.

“There will be a lot of energy,” senior Jeff Wysong said. “It will be like running through a tunnel because the inside and outside of the track will be lined with people.”

One team that Towne hopes will be using the energy of con­ference to improve their time is the women’s 4x400-meters team. Towne said they have already pro­vi­sionally qual­ified but will need to shed a few seconds in order to secure a chance at nationals.