On Sunday, Feb. 5, soror­ities, fra­ter­nities, off-campus houses and dorms hosted Super Bowl parties to watch the Giants beat the Patriots 21 – 17.

“[The Super Bowl] is so ingrained in you, you can’t miss it. It’s almost like a religion,” said senior Maggie Ball. “It’s a tra­di­tional thing for America.”

Junior Tommy Lundberg said that he was “kind of” rooting for the Patriots because of his Michigan loy­alties. Tom Brady played as quar­terback for Michigan in the early 2000s.

“I’m also a huge Packer fan so I kind of lost interest after they were out,” Lundberg said. He and his Sigma Chi fra­ter­nities brothers spent the afternoon playing football on the empty lot next to the Paul House before watching the game.

“I plan on rooting for the team who wins,” said sophomore Rachel Hofer and Kappa bowl attendee. “But actually, I’m just rooting for Kappa.”

Many stu­dents only attend Super Bowl parties for the social aspect. Large events like the Kappa Bowl bring together many social groups, from track ath­letes to ex-Nied­feldters to football players.

“I wish it was more a game for people to watch but it totally is a social event,” said sophomore Abby Shultz. “It was more like, ‘Oh hey, you’re here! let’s talk.’”

“I just like seeing the people,” said sophomore Emily Flynn.

Kappa’s Current Events Chair — sophomore Katie Frates — had filled the tables in the dining with three-inch subs from Oakley Riverside Deli; cheese cubes, veg­etables and dip from Market House; and chicken wings from Domino’s. Despite her and the sorority’s best effort to accom­modate their guests, food and seating ran out quickly.

“We almost never have enough chairs to accom­modate everyone,” Frates said.

On the other side of campus, Pi Beta Phi also hosted a campus-wide open house while Chi Omega hosted a sis­terhood event.

For some stu­dents, Super Bowl Sunday is no dif­ferent than any other Sunday — filled with church, Saga, Inc. brunch, homework or ball room dance club.

“I just hap­pened to be here,” sophomore Nick Allen said of the Gal­loway party while he ate chips and drank pop from the event, of course.

Others, though, actively work against Super Bowl cel­e­bra­tions. A half-dozen stu­dents gathered in the Old Student Union to play scrabble for their “Not-a-Super-Bowl-Party” on Sunday evening.

“I don’t like [the Super Bowl]. I think it’s pointless,” said freshman Addison Stumpf, ring­leader of the event.

“[The Giants and the Patriots] both deserve to lose,” freshman James Inwood said