GOP pres­i­dential can­didate Rick San­torum backed out of Hillsdale Col­lege’s Monday Con­sti­tu­tional Sym­posium, according to student orga­nizers of the event.

Senior Opinions Editor Elliot Gaiser, Chair of the Con­sti­tution Sym­posium, said the group decided to postpone the sym­posium after San­torum decided to attend a dif­ferent event in Michigan. Gaiser made it clear that the event was post­poned, and that the team of stu­dents was working with San­to­rum’s cam­paign, as well as other GOP pres­i­dential hopefuls, to reschedule the event.

“Cam­paigns are fluid and the college has made it clear that we will make one date available,” Gaiser said. “There may be a date that works better for all four cam­paigns, and we are working to make this important event happen.”

Last week, the coalition of stu­dents reached out to all four can­di­dates’ cam­paigns, ahead of the Feb. 28 Repub­lican Michigan primary. San­to­rum’s cam­paign said he would attend the Feb. 20 symposium.

“I am excited to again visit Hillsdale College and have the oppor­tunity to address the important issues facing our nation,” San­torum told The Col­legian on Wednesday. “I am excited to share my  vision for a brighter America, and the life expe­ri­ences that have helped shape those positions.”

His visit would have been the second time this aca­demic year that a Repub­lican pres­i­dential can­didate came to campus, after Herman Cain spoke at Hillsdale in November.