The Hillsdale College track team traveled to Indiana on Friday for the Indiana Uni­versity Relays. They returned Sat­urday with sixteen top-10 fin­ishes, the two fastest men’s mile times in the GLIAC, and a shat­tered school record.

Senior Amanda Putt broke the Hillsdale mile run record for the second meet in a row. She fin­ished fourth at IU in a time of 4:46.43 — a drop of almost three seconds from the 4:49.04 she ran at Jan. 20’s Uni­versity of Findlay meet.

Sophomore Matt Perkins and senior team captain Jeff Wysong fin­ished seventh and ninth in the men’s mile run. Their times of 4:15.92 and 4:16.32, respec­tively, are the fastest two times run in the GLIAC this indoor season.

Other notable dis­tance per­for­mances include senior Jen Shaffer’s 2:17.09 10th place finish in the women’s 800-meter, freshman Joshua Mirth’s 15:09.83 fifth place finish in the men’s 5000-meter, and both men’s and women’s sixth place finish in the Dis­tance Medley Relay.

“The guys are per­forming well and improving every week,” said men’s head coach Jeff Forino.

But the dis­tance runners weren’t the only Hillsdale ath­letes to turn in solid per­for­mances.

Sophomore Maurice Jones fin­ished second in the 400-meter dash in a time of 49.08. His 22.06 in the men’s 200-meter dash placed him sixth in the race and moved him up to the third fastest time run this season in the GLIAC.

In the field events, senior Kathy Dirksen threw her way into second in the women’s weight throw with a toss of 18.01 meters. Fellow senior and team captain Nate English, who is cur­rently ranked sixth in the nation, placed 11th in the shot put with a throw of 16.77 meters.

“I was excited that there were so many good throwers there,” English said. “It was good to get out there and go against some tougher com­pe­tition.”

And finally, junior Kayla Caldwell fin­ished second in the pole vault. She tied Western Michigan University’s Sarah Ross at 3.80 meters, but Caldwell had two misses going into the final height while Ross had none. Neither was able to clear 3.90 meters.

The meet was divided into invi­ta­tional races and open races. The top-seeded times, many of them D‑I ath­letes, were placed in the invi­ta­tional races. The invites served as pseudo-fast heats, although they were sep­arate from the open races.

In the coming weeks the team will be trav­eling to Geneva, Ohio for the D‑II chal­lenge on Feb. 3 and then to Grand Valley State Uni­versity on Feb. 10 for the Big Meet. In prepa­ration for these meets, the team has scaled back the volume and intensity of their workouts.

“Now that the tough part of the season is over, I cannot wait to see how many per­sonal records are set,” said assistant coach R.P. White.