Freshman Philip Ham­mersley received three awards for his vol­unteer work in Michigan leg­is­lature. Before attending Hillsdale College, Ham­mersley interned with former Senate Majority Floor Leader Alan Cropsey (R‑DeWitt) and vol­un­teered with Sen. John Moolenaar (R‑Midland).

“Philip is a gen­tleman and a scholar,” said Moolenaar in a press release. “His hard work and ded­i­cation helped our con­stituents. We appre­ciate Philip’s will­ingness to serve.”

Most recently, Ham­mersley was awarded the 2011 Frank M. Fitzgerald Public Service Award, which rec­og­nizes stu­dents for excel­lence in aca­d­emics and vol­un­teerism.

Ham­mersley also earned the John Quincy Adams Award from the Student States­manship Institute and the Dana N. Weeder Memorial Schol­arship from the Wash­ington Crossing Foun­dation in Bristol, Penn.

“In addition to his talents as a student and intern, Philip is a very genuine and kind indi­vidual. Hillsdale is lucky to have him,” said Kendall Wingrove, former press Sec­retary with the Michigan Senate. Wingrove also coor­di­nated the mentor program called Cur­riculum Beyond the Classroom that Ham­mersley worked with.

While interning and vol­un­teering at the capitol, Ham­mersley worked in various capac­ities, from basic office tasks like filing to writing leg­islative tributes. His favorite job was researching leg­is­lation and its impact on Michigan voters.

“One of the best parts was being in Lansing, espe­cially being in the same place as pol­i­cy­makers even though I was only 16 or 17 years old,” Ham­mersley said.

Hammersley’s interest in public policy and argu­men­tation began as a freshman in high school when he was “forced” to par­tic­ipate in speech and debate through Christian Com­mu­ni­cators of America.

Attending Student States­manship Institute, a Michigan lead­ership program for stu­dents inter­ested in various aspects of gov­ernment, further cemented his desire to pursue an internship.

“At the end of the week, we got to debate bills on the House floor,” Ham­mersley said.

Now, he uses the skills he learned as an intern and at SSI by par­tic­i­pating in mock trial.

“Philip has an extra­or­dinary ability to focus on details. He is very thorough in his research and pre­sen­tation,” Wingrove said. “This is, of course, why he is so good at mock trial at Hillsdale.”

Cur­rently, Ham­mersley has not declared a major. He is inter­ested in working as a policy analyst, as a lawyer, or both.

“I am con­vinced that Philip will make an out­standing con­tri­bution to whatever field he goes into,” Wingrove said. Right now, it looks like that will be public policy and he will be an incredible asset.”