Her words are recorded in the Con­gres­sional record, and her résumé boasts the title of Alternate Director to the National Right to Life board of directors. She worked as a sidewalk coun­selor, and interned with the Susan B. Anthony List, a Wash­ington-based pro-life group. Now, senior Laura Wegmann is being rec­og­nized for her service to the pro-life cause.

According to the group’s website, the award is given to “young women who embody the pro-life legacy of Susan B. Anthony.”

Pres­ident of Indiana Right to Life Mark Fichter nom­i­nated Wegmann for this award.

“It was a very pleasant sur­prise and very exciting to realize that someone from Indiana is going to be receiving such a pres­ti­gious award,” Ficther said.

Cathie Hum­barger, com­mu­ni­ca­tions director for the national Right to Life, is excited to see Wegmann’s accom­plish­ments.

“I have known Laura from the beginning,” Hum­barger said. “I have watched her be active in the cause and prepare herself to be an advocate. It has been a pleasure to see her strength of con­viction and passion for the cause resulting in this award, because she’s cer­tainly deserving of it.”

Wegmann’s work in the movement dates back to her high school days, when she began working as a sidewalk coun­selor at a local abortion clinic.

“I’m glad I started working there,” Wegmann said. “That moment of the woman going in is what it’s all about.”

As a junior in high school, Wegmann rep­re­sented Indiana in the National Pro-Life Oratory contest. Her speech refuting the practice of physician-assisted suicide was read before members of Con­gress on the floor of the U.S. House of Rep­re­sen­ta­tives, and the words were later recorded in the Con­gres­sional record.

“I have the dis­tinct pleasure of saying Nancy Pelosi had to hear my speech,” Wegmann said.

“Laura did a won­derful job as a high school student pre­senting a strong case for defending the sanctity of life,” Fichter said. “Watching her engaging in such roles as Susan B. Anthony List and pro-life activ­ities at Hillsdale, I have been impressed and see in her a young leader who has enormous potential as a leader in the years to come.”

In the past few years, Wegmann has served in many dif­ferent posi­tions within the movement. Wegmann cur­rently serves Fichter as the alternate director to the National Right to Life board of directors on behalf of Ficther. She attends the National Right to Life board of directors meetings and submits votes and updates the board of directors on the pro­gresses in Indiana.

Wegmann worked for the Susan B. Anthony List as an intern with their political coor­di­nator during the summer of 2011. Over the semester, she spent five hours every day working remotely for the com­mu­ni­ca­tions director.

This semester, Wegmann is pro­moting a program for the Indiana Right to Life. Called “Friends For Life,” the training course is directed towards teaching college-age stu­dents how to artic­u­lately defend the pro-life message, and effec­tively refute pro-abortion rhetoric.

Wegmann wants to turn her involvement into a career in the pro-life movement, pri­marily helping them with their mar­keting and adver­tising.

“I hope to help work on their aes­thetics,” she said. “If we fail to package the message appro­pri­ately, we lose an audience.”

While she appre­ciates how ener­getic members of the movement are, she believes they have fallen short in pre­senting the pro-abortion case in a winsome manner.

“I’d like to use my aes­thetic sense and my art major to help,” she said. “The question is not if the movement ought to be judged by pack­aging; that is beside the point. They are being judged in that way, so it does a dis­service to the truth if we don’t present it in the best light.”

Having worked in both the state and national level of the movement, it is apparent to Wegmann that the strongest groups are at the state level. Her ultimate goal is to return to the state level, bringing orga­ni­zation and appealing images to the movement.

“But I know I can’t do that with only enthu­siasm,” she said. Wegmann plans on returning to Wash­ington, D.C. in the summer. She applied to a few pro­grams and is hoping to work in policy, gain a few yeas of expe­rience, and then return to the state level.

“She will bring to the table the under­standing and vision of a new gen­er­ation of lead­ership,” Fichter said. “That is very much needed in the pro life movement which tends to be dom­i­nated by people of 40 years or above.”

Hum­barger is looking forward to seeing Wegmann’s future in the movement.

“I see her using her gifting and edu­cation and expe­rience to advocate for the unborn, wherever that path leads,” Hum­barger said. “She’s capable of rep­re­senting the cause in D.C. or the state level and I would trust her to be the leader in the next wave, the stu­dents who are going to win the cause.”

sodell@hillsdale.edu

• Patricia lewis

Laura Wegmann, thank you for being such a strong model for the youth of our country. In this troubled time, we need you. When the recent affront to reli­gious freedom – and hence against pro-life, became a ‘mandate’, I was/am sad­dened by the response – par­tic­u­larly of our youth. They do not seem to grasp its basic flaws.
    I agree with you that the ‘pack­aging’ of the issue will bring it into a better light.
    Con­grats & God Bless.

• Shawn Meyer

Laura,

We’re proud of your faith­fulness to Christ in defending the unborn. Keep up the good work and the example you are setting to other young people of what it means to live with deter­mi­nation and purpose.