Music enthu­siasts should be sure to attend the cello per­for­mance by Matt Haimovitz this Sat­urday at 8 p.m. at the Sage Center for the Arts.

Young but widely known, Haimovitz has been invited to share his talent on Hillsdale College’s campus as part of the pro­fes­sional artist series, a series that seeks to expose the com­munity to good music. Some­times over a year in advance, the program selects, invites, and pays pro­fes­sional artists to perform at the school.

Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Music James Holleman said Haimovitz was “young and very exper­i­mental.” He described his practice of crossing clas­sical styles with jazz, rock, and modern music.

“We’re not quite sure what we’re going to get on Sat­urday. The program says pieces will be announced from stage. It’s going to be very inter­esting; it is not going to be your grandpa’s cello recital,” Holleman said.

“[Haimovitz] is world-class musician,” he con­tinued, “It is a great oppor­tunity to get exposed to this; it is going to be dif­ferent and inter­esting, and pos­sibly chal­lenging for the lis­tener.”

It is not just a vis­iting artist that brings us more modern music. Holleman referred to Hillsdale stu­dents as “very open” to a more modern approach to music.

“Elliot Gaiser arranged last year Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen,” Holleman said. “One of our quartets did a metal rock arrangement, so the stu­dents are actually crossing borders and having kind of a fusion of dif­ferent styles. I think they are going to be very excited about this.”

Sharon Barrett, a fifth year senior with a music major, looks forward to the concert.

“I always enjoy a pro­fes­sional artist series,” Barrett said. “ As a vocalist, I enjoy going to hear instru­men­talists because it gives me the oppor­tunity to just enjoy their music.”

In addition to the concert he will be giving, Haimovitz will be teaching two master classes for Hillsdale’s cello stu­dents. These master classes give stu­dents a chance to play their music for the pro­fes­sional artist and receive con­structive feedback on their tech­nique and musi­cality.

The first master class is scheduled for Friday at 4 pm and will provide feedback to stu­dents on a selection of tra­di­tional cello music, while Saturday’s master class will be reserved for the more modern pieces.

Jen­nifer Fran­klund, a junior and music major, will be attending the Friday master class.

“I’m looking forward to the master class because I always enjoy learning from dif­ferent teachers,” Fran­klund said.

Vic­toria Coe, a junior and music major, also plans to attend the first master class.

“I want to hear how he helps the con­certo com­petitors,” Coe said.

Stu­dents are grateful that the Pro­fes­sional Artist Series allows them the oppor­tunity to interact with and learn from pro­fes­sionals within their field of interest.

“I don’t think there is another time in our lives we’ll get to see so many pro­fes­sional top shelf artists for free,” Coe said.

sgilman@hillsdale.edu