Fight ends in arrests

Home News Fight ends in arrests
Fight ends in arrests

Around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, two Hillsdale city police cars and an ambulance pulled up to the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house. Paramedics entered and then exited the house and two students were arrested on suspicion of assault and put in the back of police cars, one of them in handcuffs.

They were brought to the jail and posted bail.

A fight started in the early morning hours on Sunday when one ATO member picked a fight with another member. Although there was only one punch thrown in the entire fight, the men wrestled with each other, and threw each other into the fraternity’s glass trophy cases, causing the glass to shatter.

Dean of Men Aaron Petersen said the fight was an example of men venting their frustrations physically.

According the college catalogue, the college can suspend or expel students who are arrested. As of Wednesday night, Petersen had not expelled or suspended either student.

Inside the fraternity itself, one of the students was suspended from active membership and a press release from the fraternity said further action would depend on investigation.

“I’m disappointed in these two young men’s actions,” Petersen said. “Their actions have caused not only problems for themselves, but  also for a lot of other people as well, including their families, their fellow students, and local law enforcement.”

The house’s statement said that, “Both individuals fully realize the severity of their actions and the disappointing nature of this incident.”

Alcohol was a factor in the altercation, the dean said, specifically in the case of the assailant.

When other fraternity members came downstairs they saw the damaged cabinets and blood on one of the men. They called 911.

Sophomore David Wilhelmsen, the fraternity’s public relations chairperson, said the fraternity followed ATO national policy precisely by notifying the dean’s office, national headquarters, and local authorities immediately.

Petersen said he does not anticipate the incident leading to disciplinary measures for the fraternity. He said he was pleased by the way ATO leadership handled the aftermath of the fight.

Wilhelmsen said the fraternity’s cooperation with authorities was in line with its principles.

“We will continue to work closely with the administration and the Alpha Tau Omega national headquarters to ensure this matter is handled justly, effectively, and in a manner suited to the principles of our organization.

Instead, Petersen is focussed on the two men involved in the incident, who he said did not handle their aggression well.

“It is critical that young men like these two learn to deal with their frustration civilly,” he said.

Wilhelmsen said at press time said that charges had been dropped against the non-assailant.