For senior math­e­matics major Aaron Mortier, pur­suing a career in archi­tecture is the con­tin­u­ation of a con­ver­sation that started cen­turies ago.

“Working within the western tra­dition of archi­tecture carries on a con­ver­sation that has been going on for thou­sands of years,” Mortier said.

What stands out most about Mortier is his deep love for his liberal arts edu­cation and its pro­found influence on his future in archi­tecture. Seeing an inescapable con­nection in all forms of study, Mortier describes archi­tecture as the ideal syn­thesis for his many interests.

“I have kind of a split brain. I am inter­ested and good at math and science. But I have an artistic side. Archi­tecture seems like a way of com­bining the two,” Mortier said.

Mortier credits this appre­ci­ation for archi­tecture to his time and studies at Hillsdale College. Hillsdale opened his eyes to an interest in archi­tecture he had not realized was there before college.

Mortier has truly embraced the idea of the liberal arts edu­cation. Outside of his math major, Mortier has pursued studies in physics, eco­nomics, art, theatre, music and pho­tog­raphy.

“I’m a firm believer that all knowledge is con­nected,” he said.

Senior Clas­sical Studies major Aaron Kilgore, a close friend of Mortier, rec­og­nizes Mortier’s passion for a Hillsdale edu­cation and its per­ti­nence to a career in archi­tecture.

“Mortier’s a very thoughtful student. He’ll con­sider and discuss all the ideas that come up in classes for months,” Kilgore said.

Kilgore affirms that archi­tecture is the thing Mortier loves the most, and expects him to do very well in his future as a student of archi­tecture.

Mortier hopes his acquired knowledge will lead him to archi­tecture school after grad­u­ation where he will pursue a master’s degree with the goal of becoming a licensed architect.

Mortier’s love of archi­tecture crosses paths with his other passion, his home state of Alaska. Seeing much hope in his state, Mortier’s goal is to return to Alaska

In his senior thesis, Mortier asks the question, “Is Alaska the frontier that it should be?” For him, the answer is undoubtedly yes. He describes Alaska as a place with a rich future that he would like to be a part of.

According to Mortier, moving from Germany to Alaska at the age of 10 made a big impact on his artistic style. For Mortier, Europe is a place rich full of history, reflected in its archi­tecture. But Alaska offered him artistic inspi­ration through nature. According to Mortier, spending much of his time in nature and the moun­tains of Alaska influ­enced his color schemes.

Since grad­u­ating high school, Mortier has worked for R&M Con­sul­tants, Inc., a trans­portation pro­duction company in Alaska where he is sent all over the state working with clients. But Mortier’s heart is in designing buildings that fulfill a greater purpose. He sees the ‘telos’ in archi­tecture.

“It’s not just about buildings; it’s about com­bining form and function. I would like to embed deeper con­cepts in what I design. It’s about the good of the building.”